This articles talks about different process selection based on the procedure followed and performance. Technology is also at the centre of the author’s argument. It leads to changing of systems used by organization in an effort to integrate real-time know-how and automated systems. Chintan Patel, Dusan Sormez and Danyu You stipulate that organization should implement systems that allow real time decision making. This is not only beneficial to the organization but also to the whole industry. Authors discusses and elaborate on the procedure followed in coming up with a real-time process for the manufacturing plant. Three steps are followed in the making of these manufacturing decisions. They include selection and fortitude of features, tools and machines used and method parameters. This means that an integrated system facilitates the execution of multiple instructions and tasks on real-time basis.
To enable system plan selection, rule based selection methodology is intertwined with flexible manufacturing system. Rule based system make use of available knowledge to execute selection process for the diverse machines. This takes place for each feature within the manufacturing process hence leading to efficiency. This competence is central to the apprehension and lowering of assembly costs by the institute. In selecting real-time process, an organization must be determined to pursue either alternative routings or single process for designated features. The former means that multiple tasks or instructions are executed within the process to arrive at the desired outcome. The latter involves focusing on a single or specific route to help respond to emergencies or needs as they arises in the system. This is what the authors outlined in the work.
Summary or Important Points
The main points brought out in this document are as follows:
- Processes run in the dynamic scheduling actions improvised through the system were more effective than the one applied in operating the system on dispatching rule. The reason behind this is that routing in flexible manufacturing system ensures that diverse machines are connected to work on a single task.
- Rule-based system is involved in planning context for alternative machines to be utilized for designated decision logic. These systems apply knowledge that is action-oriented. These are three types of tool knowledge that includes machine selection rule, tool selection rule and calculate processing time.
- When operating in a rule based system, memory must be activated which instigated the commencement of other processes and machine facts or tool facts available within it. This process involves a chain of activities that follow similar procedures in order to have the process come into completion.
- The creation of an input file facilitates the recording of system status, selection of simulation model to be applied in transferring and processing the facts and coming up with diverse plans to be utilized by the system.
- The combination of two processes plan seems more appealing than having a single plan to execute diverse projects. This is why companies are moving towards integrated systems that are time efficient as well as cost-effective. This has enabled manufacturing firm eliminate delays. Decisions are made on timely basis hence improves the production process.
- Lastly, rule-based facts houses a number of prismatic parts manufactured with diverse features that allow them act and perform differently. They have different features combined in them hence forms a new item when combined.
My Opinion and Thought
I really think that manufacturing plants needs to invest more on this system plan. The authors added new ideas to the previous research conducted in this field of process manufacturing. Efficiency can be achieved through utilization of rule-based planning. However, the selection of the right tools should come hand in hand with the provision of the right instructions. This means that systems should be connected in such a manner that they reinforce each other. There are important ideas that manifests in this article. They are outlined below. First, the provision and utilization of these processes lead to higher productivity as decision are made within the right time frame.
The organization and structuring of the flexible manufacturing system should incorporate prismatic parts with similar features. For example, if the parts are used for gliding only then they must have features that enable the system to perform the designated duty. This means that the organization will have a single system controlling diverse tasks within the manufacturing line. This is deemed to trigger a lot of benefits on the side of the company involved in the manufacture of products. I also think that the difference between the two system of manufacturing framework come into being due to diverse structure of parts incorporated into the system. The sum total of parts used may also differ hence leading to diverging results. The idea of real time processes is also insightful in the sense that it helps uncover the reasons behind companies’ preference for integrating technology in their production line. Thus, the article is an influential piece of work that is not only educative but also informative.