The Course Project is a two-part series assignment.
Part A consisted of identifying a quality improvement or evidence-based or financial/knowledge-based issue in an area of nursing practice. This issue had to be relevant to your role as a nurse leader and an area of interest for you.
Part B is to be completed as the final step of the two-part series assignment, and it will relate to addressing the problem area (identified in Part A) through the use of various strategies and techniques – e.g., would the most optimal way to address the problem be through team collaboration, designing a business plan, addressing throughput issues, conducting a gap analysis, and/or utilizing financial techniques in addressing the needed change effort.
Once the strategies are identified, the next step of this project will entail designing an implementation plan to address the problem area and the MSN leader’s role in the change process (This step is very important).
The final step of the project will be to identify three measurable outcomes to assess the success of the implementation plan.
Learning Outcomes: This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
• LO 1: The student will be able to describe, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate various finance scenarios discussed in the readings (threaded online discussions & presentations).
• LO 2: The student will be able to examine methods of healthcare financing and how they affect advanced nursing practice.
• LO 3: The student will be able to describe, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate various finance scenarios discussed in the readings.
• CO 8: The student will be able to demonstrate the ability to evaluate all areas of healthcare economics and finance as it relates to the nurse administrator/manager role.
Part A of the Systems Leadership Project consisted of identifying a quality improvement or evidence-based or financial/knowledge-based issue in an area of nursing practice relevant to your role as an MSN Nurse Leader.
The following objectives are to be addressed in Part B:
1. Identify and describe the financial techniques or strategies that will be used to address the problem area. There is not a correct answer, rather you are to use a system thinking approach in order to address the problem area as thoroughly and efficiently as possible.
a) Identify the most optimal strategy in addressing the problem area such as conducting a throughput analysis and identifying the various bottlenecks within the system, SWOT analysis to discover the range of staffing matrices used by competing hospitals, using a strategic process, and identifying key stakeholders when creating a new culture of safety.
b) Will other strategies need to be used to address the problem area or will one strategy suffice at this point in time?
c) Will strategies cross over all three system levels?
2. Describe the implementation plan to address the problem area.
a) Who needs to be involved in creating change; list the key stakeholders that need to be involved in this project.
b) Document the steps of the process as it currently exists using a flow chart; perform a gap analysis and design the steps of the new process that will address the gaps and improve the problem area.
3. Describe your role as the MSN leader is supporting the change process.
a) What leadership skills will you utilize to lead the change effort?
b) How will you deal with individuals at the three levels of the system, as well as stakeholders with differing opinions?
c) How will you assure there is reawakened passion for the change effort to be sustained?
Criteria for Format and Special Instructions
1. Part B paper (excluding the title page and references page) should be 5 pages following APA 7th Format and use supporting sources within the last 5 years.