Learning Activity Infection Control
In this activity, you will gain an understanding of infection control and be able to describe medical asepsis, prevention of infection, nosocomial infection, and the mechanism of disease and immunity.
Read Chapter 33 of Canadian Fundamentals of Nursing and answer the following questions:
- Define the following terms:
- Communicable disease
- What is the transmission? Name four common modes of transmission in infection
- Name three reasons or conditions that increase an individual’s susceptibility to infection
- Describe the 6 steps of the “chain of infection”.
- What is medical asepsis?
- What are standard precautions/routine practices?
- Why is hand washing the most basic and important technique in preventing the transmission of infection?
Go to each of the following links to learn about the associated terms. Test your knowledge after the readings on the biology dictionary links with the provided questions.