Read the Case Study very carefully and be sure your answers include details relevant to case material. Be sure, too, to address the specific questions asked. You have worked hard and learned much this term- now is your chance to do your best! Good Luck and Best Wishes for a fine vacation.
- A. This question reflects two basic premisesof this course.
- Why must all behavior and all disorders be considered on a continuum?
Present a thorough rationale. (10 pts.)
2. What does it mean to understand an individual phenomenologically?
Explain this concept and then suggest how Terry is experiencing her life at this time. (7 pts.)
- B. An individual’s problems need to be considered in the contextof his/her life.
Apply a sociocultural analysis to Terry’s life to better understand her present situation. (Consider the zeitgeist as well as her family experience.) (10 pts.)
- DSM IV-TR is a multiaxial system.
- Terry’s primary diagnoses are Psychophysiological Disorder (PFAMC: psychological factors affecting medical condition) and Somatic Symptom Disorder with Predominant Pain Pattern.
Do you agree or disagree with these diagnoses? What evidence is there to support them? Is there conflicting evidence? (8 pts.)
2. What might be physiological explanations for Terry’s symptoms? (4 pts.)
- Is there any other disorder you think Terry may have? Support your answer with case material. (4pts.)
- There are a number of different theoretical explanationsfor every behavior disorder.
- If you apply the diathesis-stressmodel, what factors might you consider to be contributing to Terry’s illness? Be thorough. (6 pts.)
- How would a cognitive theorist like Beck or Ellis explain her condition? (This question is about etiology; do not discuss treatment.)(6pts.)
- Behaviorists would see several examples of classical and operant conditioning as important
elements here. Show how these might be applied to explain Terry’s complaints. (12 pts.)
- Although Terry is having a hard time right now, we must remember that everyone has strengths upon which they can build.
- Identify at least two attributes of Terry’s which may be seen as strengths. (3pts.)
2.What are two characteristics of the healthy personalitythat you believe Terry should develop in the course of therapy, which she is presently lacking. (6pts.)
- Different perspectives have distinctive ways of viewing and treating a disorder.
- Select either the Psychoanalyticorthe Humanistic perspective and discuss its basic principles and therapeutic techniques as they would be utilized to help Terry. (12 pts.)
- Build a comprehensive treatment planfor Terry, drawing on all of the various modalities you have learned about this term. Please address allof her problems. (14 pts.)
G. What should Terry want to know about her therapist before she starts treatment?(8 pts.)
1.What is one learning you have had in this course you will want to share with others?
2. Have you had any changes in your ideas about maladaptive behavior as a result of taking this course? Please explain.
3. A researcher wants to determine if offering college freshmen stress management training will reduce the amount of stress they experience in the first yr. of college and result in higher grades. State the hypothesis which can be used to investigate this idea. Outline how this research would be carried out. Identify the appropriate method and the variables involved. Suggest a conclusion.