Midterm 2: Optional Paper
Political Sociology SOC 2312A – Spring 2021
There is an option to submit a 2,500-word research paper instead of writing the second midterm for this course. In this paper, you will write about one of the four topics:
- Political Economy
- Social Movements
- Social Relations
- Police and Military
You will be given free rein to explore your interests, as long as you relate your paper to the course material. If you have any concerns about your research question/thesis statement, feel free to contact the professor or the TAs for additional guidance. If you need help on how to write an essay or evaluate online sources, please refer to the guidelines that can be found at the end of the course syllabus.
The assignment will be due Monday, May 31st at 4:00 pm EST.
Your paper should adhere to the following specifications:
- Minimally 2,500 words, maximally 3,500 words. Not adhering to this word limit will result in being deducted by a single letter grade (e.g. from B+ to B).
- Minimally 10 scholarly, peer-reviewed sources dated no earlier than 2010.
- Must cite all non-original sources correctly as per APA style.
- DO NOT use non-scholarly sources including, but not limited to: dictionaries, encyclopedias, web-based sources that are not scholarly books or journals*, newspapers and popular magazines, etc. Points will be reduced if you do.
- Remember that this assignment is worth 25% of your final grade. It will ONLY replace the midterm exam if you submit it before the start of the midterm. As such, the deadline is absolutely firm.
*For more information on what constitutes a scholarly, peer-reviewed source, please consult and feel
free to use the University of Ottawa’s library search engine