High Performing Work Team Analysis
This assignment is worth 20% of your final grade. It gives you an opportunity to analyze a tool used to assess the performance of a team. You must complete this assignment individually, without contacting other students, and you may not use a paper or any part of a paper from a previous class or from another person or an online source. If you have any questions about this assignment, please post them in the Ask the Professor discussion forum so that everyone can benefit from the answers. The assignment addresses Course Objectives 3, 4, and 5.
Organizations often use surveys or questionnaires to obtain information regarding employee satisfaction, organizational issues impacting staff performance, and perceptions of pay and benefits, organizational culture, etc. Sometimes, questionnaires are used in classes for staff development and focus on behavioral styles, conflict styles, or team behaviors. Additionally, surveys may be used to help intact teams or departments focus on and resolve team differences or performance issues. Many times, the questions themselves provide people with insight into what the organization expects from its employees.
You are the leader of a cross-functional team that has not been performing well. You are not sure what is causing the problems, but you know that the team cannot continue this way. You have contacted the Human Resources (HR) department for help, and they suggested using the High Performing Work Teams Survey as a tool to diagnose problems within the team. Every team member will complete the survey anonymously. The HR department will analyze the results and will work with you to develop a plan to address issues.
Read the questions in the High Performing Work Teams Survey. The survey follows these instructions. You will analyze the questions, identify trends you see in the questions, and discuss what you and the members of your team could learn by taking this survey.
Write 4 – 6 pages (not counting the cover or reference pages), summarizing the trends you identified, describing what you and your team members could learn from taking the survey, and discussing your conclusions about what is required of team members to create a high performing work team. Support your opinions and statements with a minimum of five references from sources published within the last ten years.
You can cite scholarly and practitioner-oriented journals, newspaper articles, YouTube videos, (but not Wikipedia, vendor websites, or other non-academic sources.) Please use the UMUC library to search for appropriate sources rather than Google or other search engines. Librarians are available by phone, email, and chat; they are excellent at their jobs and they love to help students. See the Library link in the Resources section (on the ribbon at the top of our classroom) or go directly to https://sites.umuc.edu/library/index.cfm for more information and to begin searching for sources. You can also consult a graduate writing tutor for help with organizing your ideas, presenting them clearly, and complying with APA style requirements. You can access tutors through the Writing Tutoring module in our classroom.
Us APA format for citations, references, and quotations. This means your list of references should start on a separate page and should be double spaced, with a hanging indent and no spaces between entries. Your analysis should be 4-6 pages (not counting the cover or reference pages), double spaced with one-inch margins and font size of at least 11 points. Criteria for Grading High Performing Work Team Analysis are attached to this document (they follow the High Performing Work Teams Survey). The criteria give details on how your analysis will be graded. Keep in mind that most organizations value efficient communication; busy managers do not have time – and most don’t have the desire – to read long reports. Keep your writing clear and concise.
Please add the following statement to the cover of your paper:
This paper is my own work that I created specifically for this course and this section. All research or material I used in preparing this paper has been properly acknowledged within the assignment in accordance with academic standards for complete and accurate citation of sources.
Submit your assignment electronically via the Assignment folder.
Name your file this way: LastNameFirstInitial_WorkTeamAnalysis
Due date: Tuesday, June 8, 11:59 p.m. Eastern time
High Performing Work Team Survey
The High Performing Work Team Survey appears below. The criteria for grading this assignment follow the survey
Mission: 5 Items
- I understand what contributions I am expected to make to the
- I understand how this team’s performance will affect the business results of the
- I can describe the mission or why this team
- I understand the team’s primary
- Team members agree on the major work functions that our team is to
Goals: 5 Items
- I understand the team’s
- I am highly motivated to achieve the
- I understand the team’s long-term
- I understand the standards for team quality and
- This team has goals that are closely linked to the company’s
Roles: 5 Items
- I understand the role I am expected to perform for the team
- Team members are handling all job functions that the team is required to
- I understand what is expected of another team
- Team members maintain a clear focus on the high priority tasks that are to be
- At least one member of this team attempts to maintain a positive/harmonious
Procedures: 5 Items
- We have procedures that encourage members to participate
- We have procedures for providing feedback directly to the team
- We have procedures for handling common problems or unexpected
- Agendas are distributed before each team
- Follow-up dates are set when actions are agreed
Relationships: 5 Items
- I am encouraged to express my ideas even when my ideas disagree with the
- Team members live up to their
- Team members listen to me even when they disagree with
- Team members have given me positive feedback and
- Team members solicit ideas and help from
Effectiveness: 5 Items
- This team usually completes tasks and meets its
- The team is fulfilling its purpose or
- Team meetings are
- Team meetings end up with all topics and work
- This team is effective compared to other
Satisfaction: 5 Items
- I am satisfied with my job and responsibilities on this team.
- I get a sense of personal enjoyment being a member of this
- Morale is high on this
- The team pulls together as a
- My skills and knowledge are fully used in this
Conflict Resolution: 5 Items
- Differences in style and opinion are
- Team members are allowed to be
- Problems and conflicts are resolved with solutions that meet the needs of everyone
- Problems and conflicts are confronted until they are
- When team members disagree, they listen openly to each
Criteria for Grading High Performing Work Team Analysis
Note: Your analysis should be 4-7 pages long, excluding the reference and cover pages.