Write a 1 to 1.5 page (500-750 words) essay on the Amy Smith case study. In your paper, talk about the medical negligence that might have occurred in this situation
CASE STUDY: Amy Smith was a 10-year-old female who was scheduled for surgery at her local hospital. Amy had Sickle Cell Disease (SCD). When undergoing surgery, special precautions must be taken to prevent and/or treat an SCD crisis. In SCD, the shape of a person’s red blood cells is destroyed and instead of being round like they should be, they form a sickle shape. This abnormal shape prevents the red blood cells from being able to deliver oxygen to the body. When a patient goes into a sickle cell crisis, they can die if they do not receive treatment.
To prepare Amy for surgery, she received a blood transfusion in an attempt to prevent the increased risk of bleeding in surgery because of her disease. The problem is that a transfusion can also trigger a sickle cell crisis. While Amy was receiving the transfusion, the physician monitoring her told the clinicians that Amy was showing signs of going into an SCD crisis. This physician also told the clinicians how to monitor and treat the patient. This information was emailed to Amy’s surgeon and no action was taken to prepare for an SCD crisis.
Amy had surgery and went home. Shortly after returning home, Amy’s parents recognized that something was wrong and they brought her back to the hospital. It took several hours after readmission for the physicians to determine that she was in an SCD crisis and her treatment was delayed. As a result, Amy went into cardiac arrest and hospital personnel was unable to revive her.
Use your textbook and at least one other reliable source to find information.
Structure your paper as follows:
- Intro paragraph (5 points)
- In your own words, introduce the topic that is being discussed in this essay.
- State your thesis (main idea).
- Identify the three main points you will cover
- Body paragraphs (10 points total)
- Discuss what (if any) malpractice claims would be an option in this situation and explain your response. (2 points)
- Do you feel there was a dereliction or neglect of duty? Explain your response. (2 points)
- Was there evidence of a direct or proximate cause that produced the injury identified? Explain your response. (2 points)
- Discuss what could have been done to prevent this situation and maintain the proper standard of care. Explain your answer. (2 points)
- Liability and Damages (2 points)
- Who would be liable in this situation and why?
- What kind of (if any) damages do you think will be issued as a result of this case?
- Conclusion (2 points)
- Restate your thesis and provide a conclusion about your main points.
- References page (2 points)
- Provide a list of references; must include author, title, publication title, publication year, and source or retrieval information.
Content requirements: (3 points)
- Content should be in your own words, with 20% or less from outside sources
- In-text citations used for any information from outside sources should include author and publication year
- Quotation marks enclose any information used word-for-word.
Writing mechanics: (3 points)
- Times 12 point font, double-spaced text, indent the first line of each paragraph
- Proofread and correct all errors in capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and spelling
Save your file in Word Document Format (.doc, .docx)
Include the term Medical Negligence and your First Name when saving your file. Example: Medical Negligence_David.doc
Upload your completed document using the Browse button, and then click the Submit button