In this module, we explored a number of broad forces that have a significant influence on business, government, and society. In this assignment, you will focus on environmental issues and sustainable development as a growing force in business and society today. Decision-makers integrating environmental and social issues and concerns with economic goals can face conflicting costs and benefits among these three elements of sustainable development.
In this assignment, you will examine some of the environmental, health, and social costs and benefits associated with an economic development project. You will also examine one business or organization that is implementing sustainable development policies and initiatives.
Part A is a case study on the environmental, health, social, and economic impacts of the adoption of clean cookstoves in the developing world. Part B is a report examining a corporation or other organization that is transforming to more sustainable operations.
Read Discussion Case: Clean Cooking at the end of Chapter 9, and answer the following two questions.
- Question 1:Describe the ways in which the widespread adoption of clean cookstoves will address the global environmental issues discussed in Chapter 9. (15 marks)
- Question 2:Describe the ways in which the widespread adoption of clean cookstoves will address the issues of economic development and poverty discussed in Chapter 9. (15 marks)
Examine a corporation or other organization that is transforming to more sustainable operations. Analyze ways the organization is reacting to stakeholder influences and how the policies and initiatives of this organization, as well as technologies that they employ, are affecting stakeholders internally, externally, and globally. You should demonstrate your ability to incorporate and integrate your learning from all aspects of this module. Ensure that you include information from the course material, the readings, your journal, and your own research.
Choose from the following options:
- Royal Dutch Shell
- Interface, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard (HP)
- A business or organization of your choice that is implementing sustainable development policies and initiatives. Please review the questions below to ensure the organization or business that you select is appropriate to the assignment deliverables.
If you are not analyzing Shell, Interface, or HP), then, prior to beginning this report, you should email your Open Learning Faculty Member the name of your chosen organization to confirm that your choice is appropriate for this assignment.
After selecting an organization, write a 2,200-word, double-spaced report containing the following:
- Section 1. External forces or influences: Identify three external factors that you think have influenced the company’s shift to more environmentally and/or socially responsible business management practices. Describe the ways in which these external factors influenced management actions and/or decisions or helped to transform the company. Provide evidence to support your observations. (30 marks)
- Section 2. Internal forces or influences: Identify two internal factors that have influenced the company’s shift to more environmentally and/or socially responsible business management practices. Describe the ways in which these internal factors influenced management actions and/or decisions or helped to transform the company. Provide evidence to support your observations. (20 marks)
- Section 3. Global impacts of sustainable development initiatives: Describe one real or potential global impact of the sustainable development initiatives of this company. Indicate the magnitude or significance of this impact in terms of its influence on global business and/or society. (10 marks)
- Section 4. Harnessing technology for sustainable development: Describe (with examples) how this company is using the Internet and other technologies to assist its efforts to move toward sustainable business and development. (10 marks)