Elder Abuse, Neglect, or Negligence Presentation
Using the information, you discussed in your collaborative discussion this week, create an 8- to 10- slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation in which you discuss how federal legislation has addressed violence and victimization within correctional facilities at the federal, state, and local levels of jurisdiction. In your presentation:
- Describe at least three separate goals of the PREA legislation. Provide the standards developed by the DOJ to achieve each of these goals.
- Outline the jurisdictions which are subject to the PREA legislation. How does the PREA legislation extend the oversight of the DOJ to jurisdictions previously not subject to such oversight?
- Discuss the behaviors which constitute a violation of 18 U.S.C. §242, Deprivation of Rights under Color of Law. Detail the penalties of violating this criminal statute.
You have also been asked to create a 1-page handout for the attendees that emphasizes the major points covered in the presentation. in your handout:
- List the three goals of the PREA legislation.
- Highlight how the state and local community is included in the jurisdiction of the PREA legislation.
- Provide information on the consequences of failing to comply (i.e., individual prosecutions, investigation by the DOJ for civil rights violations, etc.).
- Advise the attendees on possible financial contributions by the federal government for implementing and enforcing the PREA legislation in the new facility.