Admission Essay: Using your StarID, upload the essay using the Applicant Portal. The essay will be reviewed based on the congruence of your answer in response to the questions posed, baccalaureate-level writing ability, and evidence of critical thinking.
- An important part of the Metropolitan State Department of Nursing’s mission is to enhance the health of underserved and diverse populations. Please submit a word-processed essay (approximately 1500 words), using double-spacing and 12-point font addressing the following questions:
- Describe how you envision the role and scope of the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)-prepared Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP). Please be sure to address both the doctoral degree preparation and the role of the FNP.
- Describe the practice setting and patient population that you envision working with as an FNP and how this supports Metropolitan State’s mission.
- Describe how you envision utilizing your DNP/FNP education to advance professional nursing.
- Describe how your talents, experiences, and/or academic skills have prepared you to be successful in graduate education at Metropolitan State.
- Applicants are expected to use their own words and ideas when responding to essay questions. To clarify or strengthen a point, applicants may choose to include the thoughts and ideas of others when responding. In these cases, applicants are required to provide proper 6th edition APA citation of the works in which the ideas originated and references for these citations. Applicant essays are subject to plagiarism review, including the use of plagiarism detecting software. The consequences for essay plagiarism will be decided by the Department of Nursing’s Admission/Retention Committee and could result in consequences, including the full denial of an application.
- Applicants are encouraged to review language regarding plagiarism found in our Library resource