Assignment 4: Stakeholder Responsibilities in Consumer Protection (15%; 100 marks total)
In this module, you explored a number of issues relating to internal stakeholders and internal forces in organizations. In this assignment, which will count for 15 percent of your mark, you will explore an employee issue relating to diversity, and a consumer issue.
In Part A, a case study, you will examine issues pertaining to workplace diversity.
In Part B, also a case study, you will explore an important consumer protection issue—prescription medicines—and its impact on stakeholders associated with Merck & Co. You will examine forces and factors influencing decision-making, as well as various stakeholder perspectives.
Part A: Instructions
- Read Discussion Case: Unauthorized Immigrant Workers at Chipotle Mexican Grill Restaurants at the end of Chapter 16, and answer the following two questions. You should demonstrate your ability to incorporate and integrate your learning from all aspects of this Module.
- Are question 1:Is being an unauthorized immigrant a form of workplace diversity? How is it similar to and different from the other types of workplace diversity discussed in Chapter 16 of your textbook? (15 marks)
- Question 2:Which stakeholders, other than employers, are helped and which are hurt when an organization hires unauthorized immigrants? (5 marks)
Part B: Instructions
- read case Study: Merck, the FDA, and the Vioxx Recall.
- Write a 2500-word, a double-spaced report containing the following:
- Section 1:Do you believe that Merck acted in a socially responsible manner with regard to the development and testing of Vioxx? Explain why and/or why not. (20 marks)
- Section 2:Do you believe that Merck acted in a socially responsible manner with regard to Vioxx in its relations with customers and shareholders? Explain why and/or why not. (10 marks)
- Section 3:Do you believe that Merck acted in a socially responsible manner with regard to the marketing and advertising of Vioxx? Explain why and/or why not. (20 marks)
- Section 4:Do you believe that Merck acted in a socially responsible manner with regard to Vioxx in its relationships with government policymakers and regulators? Explain why and/or why not. (20 marks)
Section 5: Do you believe that Merck’s voluntary public recall of Vioxx was an act of corporate social responsibility? Explain why and/