. Planning Messages: Audience Profile
For each communication task that follows, write brief answers to the following questions:
- Who is the audience
- What is the audience’s general attitude toward my subject
- What does the audience need to know
- A final-notice collection letter from an appliance manufacturer to an appliance dealer who is three months behind on payments, sent 10 days before initiating legal collection procedures
In this case, the target audience is the managerial team of the appliance dealers. This is because they are the ones who authorize payments and advice on legal procedures in an organization.
This message will elicit anxiety because it contains threatening information.
The audience requires knowing how to respond to the manufacturer with an immediate effect.
- An advertisement for digital cameras
The audience targeted in this form of communication is the working people aged 25 and above who are entitled to holidays
After receiving this message, the intended audience will elicit confidence owing to the fact that they can take quality and durable pictures. They will feel that digital cameras are better than the previous analogue due to technology advancement.
In this case, the audience requires knowing the price of the cameras, their advantages over the previous cameras, and guidance on how to operate them.
A proposal to top management suggesting that the four sales regions in the United States be combined into just two regions.
The target audience of this message is the board of directors of the organization. This is because they are entitled in making decisions that affect the organization at a corporate level.
Based on the magnitude of this message, the audience will receive it in an analytical attitude.
They will need the revenues collected in the four sales regions and the expected sales in the proposed two sales regions.
Fliers to be attached to doorknobs in the neighborhood, announcing reduced rates for chimney cleaning or repairs.
The target audience is the family members, especially parents.
They will receive this message in a cheerful mood because they will get these services at a reduced rate.
They should know the rate at which the prices have reduced, which is vital.
A website that describes the services offered by a consulting firm that helps accounting managers to comply with government regulations.
The consulting firm targets accounting managers of any institutions because they require understanding the government’s regulations in their field of specialization.
They will be optimistic about learning what the government expects from them; hence, they will elicit a positive attitude.
The audience requires understanding the benefits that this message will bring to them, and to the organization at large.
Message organization: limiting scope
The topics should be arranged in this sequential order.
- History of the development of the cogeneration heating process
- Stories about the successful use of cogeneration technology in comparable facilities
- Specifications of the equipment that would be installed
- Plan for installing the equipment in the headquarters building
- Scientific credentials of the developers of the process
- Cost of installing and running the new equipment
- Estimates of the time needed to phase in the new system
- Advantages and disadvantages of using this process
- Message organization: choosing an approach
- Message to the owner of an automobile dealership complaining about poor service work
This message should involve an indirect approach. The main reason is that delivering “bad news” requires a polite tone and not attacking the recipient. In this scenario, an indirect tone will aid in maintaining the customer-seller relationship.
A message from a recent college graduate, requesting a letter of recommendation from a former instructor
In this case, a direct approach is appropriate because it helps the messenger to express his/her needs clearly and in a respectful manner.
- A message announcing that because of high air-conditioning costs, the plant temperature will be held at 78° during the summer
Seventy-eight degrees are a measure of very hot temperatures. In light of this, people will have a negative attitude when they learn that they are going to live in such conditions. Therefore, it is important to prepare them mentally before breaking the news to them; hence, an indirect approach is the most appropriate method.
Message composition: controlling style
Rewrite the following email
We received your order complain via our website response system. Owing to the fact that you neglected to include the size of the dress you ordered, please be advised that no shipment of your order was made, but the aforementioned shipment will occur at such time as we are in receipt of the aforementioned information.
We highly appreciate your feedback that was conveyed through our website response system. We deeply regret for failing to ship your order. Kindly note that the mishap occurred due to the missing information regarding the size of the dress you had ordered. However, we shall make the shipment of your order immediately we receive the missing information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Break the following sentence into shorter ones by adding more periods and revise as needed for smooth flow:
The next time you write something, check your average sentence length in a 100-word passage, and if your sentences average more than 16 to 20 words, see whether you can break up some of the sentences.
Next time you write something in a hundred-word passage, check your average sentence length. If your sentences average is more than 16 to 20 words, check whether you can break-up some sentences.
Revise to condense these sentences to as few words as possible:
- We are of the conviction that writing is important
We are convinced that writing is important
- In all probability, we are likely to have a price increase.
Prices might increase
- Our goals include making a determination about that in the near future
We aim at being more determined
Revise this sentence in order to present the ideas in parallel form:
Mr. Hill is expected to lecture three days a week, to counsel two days a week, and must write for publication in his spare time.
Mr. Hill is expected to lecture for three days a week, to counsel for two days and to write for publication in his spare time.
Rewrite these sentences to clarify the dangling modifiers:
- Full of trash and ripped-up newspapers, we left Dallas on a plane that apparently hadn’t been cleaned in days.
We left Dallas full of trash and ripped-up newspapers on a plane that apparently had not been cleaned in days.
- Lying on the shelf, Ruby found the operations manual.
Ruby lying on the shelf found operations manual
Rearrange the following sentences to bring the subjects closer to their verbs:
- Trudy, when she first saw the bull pawing the ground, ran.
When Trudy first saw the bull pawing the ground, she ran.
- Judy Small, after passing up several sensible investment opportunities, despite the warnings of her friends and family, invested her inheritance in a banana plantation.
Judy Small invested her inheritance in a banana plantation after passing up several sensible investment opportunities, despite the warnings of her friends and family.