UK Urges Britons to Flee Tunisia over Insecurity
The British government has warned its citizens that Tunisia is not able to provide ‘adequate protection’ following the massacre of tourists in June. This warning comes just a fortnight after a Tunisian student attacked and killed 38 foreign tourists at one of the North African nation’s popular beaches.
UK has directed its citizens to leave the country because of the inability of the local authorities to offer adequate security. This is in connection to the recent massacre where 30 Britons were killed.
On Thursday, the Foreign Office said it was advising against all, except essential travel to Tunisia by British citizens. It directed that British tourists who are still in the country should contact their travel agents for arrangements on flights to transport them home. Independent tourists were also advised to leave on scheduled commercial flights.
‘’Although we have worked in co-operation with the government of Tunisia, including putting in additional security measures, the intelligence and magnitude of threat has significantly developed, affirming our view that there is likelihood of another terrorist attack,’’ the foreign office said on Thursday.
‘’On balance, we do not believe that the measures of mitigation put in place will offer adequate protection for British tourists in the North African nation at present, therefore, we have accordingly changed our travel advice.’’
Previously, the Foreign Office had advised against travelling to certain notable hotspots, including near the Algerian and Libyan borders. However, it has now urged all Britons to seize from visiting any part of the country unless they have very essential businesses.
President Beji Caid Essebsi of Tunisia on Saturday decreed a state of emergency in the country for 30 days, a move that was supported by the Prime Minister Habib Essid who said on Wednesday that the state is fearing more attacks.
Speaking at parliament, he added, ‘’we would not have decreed the state of emergency if we were not sure that our country was facing numerous terrorist threats aimed at destabilizing the nation.’’
Tunisia has beefed up security around popular tourist sites following the wake of the June 26 shootings. This is the second time that foreign tourists are attacked in Tunisia in three months. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant group (ISIL) claimed responsibility for both shootings.