Sample Essay on Dementia
Dementia is a term that is used to describe a host of brain diseases. Dementia gives a description of a variety of symptoms that are related to memory lapse and imparity of thinking skills. As a result of the symptoms, a person’s ability to carry out daily activities normally is significantly reduced. Some of the most common brain diseases that result from these symptoms are Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia.
Causes of Dementia
Dementia can occur as a result of a variety of situations that cause brain cells damage. Below are some of the most commonly known causes.
- Infections that cause loss of nerve cells in the brain like Huntington’s and Alzheimer’s Parkinson’s.
- Diseases that affect the blood vessels like stroke. Such can lead to disorders called multi-infarct dementia
- Nutritional deficiencies like Vitamin B12 and lack of folate.
- Toxic reactions like drug abuse and excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Health conditions that affect the brain and the spinal cord like AIDS dementia complex and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
- Head injuries
- Health conditions that affect certain body organs like liver, kidney and lungs can also cause dementia
- Accumulation of fluids in the brain can also cause dementia
It is believed that between 50 to 60 percent of dementia cases are as a result of Alzheimer’s disease. Recent studies have also indicated that Pick’s disease and Lewy body diseases can also lead to dementia.
Symptoms of Dementia
People with dementia can show a variety of signs; however, the most predominant of all is that the affected person usually has a problem of memory lapse. This is because the condition impairs the person’s thinking and reasoning abilities. Below are other symptoms that can be used to judge whether a person is suffering from dementia or not.
- Communication and language imparity
- Inability to pay attention and focus
- Impaired visual perception
It is important to note that going through the experience of making impaired judgment and reasoning does not automatically mean that a person is suffering from dementia. It is advisable that you immediately see a doctor if you or your loved one begins show signs that are similar to those of dementia.
Many cases of dementia are progressive; they start out slowly and worsen as time advances. By seeking professional help in time, a doctor is able to detect a treatable condition and offer the best remedy before the mater gets out of hand.
In case diagnosis results reveal that you are suffering from dementia, you will be placed under medication. However, the treatment will be based upon the cause since there are various kinds of brain diseases that are associated with this health condition. In the case of Alzheimer’s disease, there is neither a cure nor any treatment that can slow down the progression. However, the patient can be given certain medications to assist in the improvement of symptoms. In order for one to stay healthy and prevent the risk of contracting dementia, it is advisable to avoid cardiovascular risk factors, engage in physical exercises and proper dieting.
At www.globalcompose.com, we can offer you highly professional help with all academic research papers. With us, you are guaranteed timely delivery of original and high quality papers for all disciplines and levels of study.